The Kenya Chamber of Mines is continuously making efforts towards advancing the interests of its members, local communities, the country and its stakeholders through participating in various initiatives and projects in areas related to: Policy advocacy and Lobbying; Education, Innovation and Skills Development; Mining Communities and Professionals; Exploration and Sustainable Mining and Mineral Licenses; and Mineral Economics and Licensing.
By bringing together key stakeholders in Kenya, we are able to strengthen environmental and social performance, and enhance the contribution of mining to the economy and communities across Kenya.
The primary purpose of the Kenya Chamber of Mines is to promote, oppose and influence legislative or any other measures members’ interest or that has direct effect on the mining sector.
- Presentation of member’s collective views
- Coordinating efforts to amend the Kenya Mining Act of 2016
- Leveraging strategic partnerships with local and international organizations / bodies
- Represent members of the council in national, regional and international mining forums
- Partnering with government to manage illegal mining and exportation of minerals from Kenya
KCM’s objective is to create an environment that enables the mining sector to have an availability of skilled professional making up its labor force.
- Participate and influence a tertiary education and training system
- Hosting, in partnership with government and other relevant organizations, mining forums.
- Supporting technology, research and innovation for a modern mining sector.
- Contributing to the development of in house certification courses.
- Dissemination of reports, studies, policies, and new findings.
The Kenya Chamber of Mines addresses the needs of mining professionals and communities to ensure safe and fair conditions for mining professionals
- Career advancement through networking forums
- Occupational Health and Safety trainings for professionals, ASM and mining communities.
- Supporting initiatives by other mining organizations and associations Promotion of sound and proactive community relationship
- Policy advocacy and lobbying for the implementation of a fiscal regime that benefits mining communities
To ensure the advancement of a sustainable Mining sector in Kenya, we support members by offering advisory on exploration, development and mine closure.
- Advisory for members and investors on exploration, geology of Kenya, impact assessments, mine closure and rehabilitation
- Support junior mining companies (companies in the exploration stage) to advance
- Consolidation of all relevant information pertaining to mining in Kenya
- Connecting members and investors to relevant government parastatals, service providers and consultants
KCM provides informed opinions on matters relating to investment in the mining industry and issues with an economic impact to the sector.
- Engaging with regional, local and international mining stakeholders to create business opportunities
- Advisory on the process of acquiring mineral and dealership license
- Providing access to markets for artisanal and small scale miners
- Support and advisory to members and government on issues like marketing, specifications and uses of minerals